July – September 2017
- I’m thrilled to announce that I’ve signed a contract with IFWG Publishing Australia for a collection of 33 stories. The collection, untitled at the moment, will be released in Q3 of 2018. From the IFWG website:
“I’m excited by this project,” stated Gerry Huntman, Managing Director of the publishing house, “because we have Deborah’s latest fiction collected in ‘Perfect Little Stitches and Other Stories’, and this acquisition distills the very best of her earlier dark fiction. We also decided to add a bonus two original pieces. We have an amazing relationship with Deborah and it makes perfect sense to publish the complete continuum of her dark fiction for reader enjoyment.”
- My romance-suspense novella, The Long Shot, is available in paperback.
- Be in the running to win a paperback copy of my horror collection, Perfect Little Stitches and other stories (IFWG Publishing Australia). The Goodreads giveaway is open to entries from Australia, US, Canada, New Zealand, and UK. Entries close November 13th, 2017.
- I’m interviewed by Risingshadow, one of the largest sci-fi and fantasy book databases, about my collection, Perfect Little Stitches and other stories.
- My horror collection, Perfect Little Stitches and other stories, is out now.
- Desert Breeze Publishing published my romance-suspense novella, The Long Shot, on September 1st. Find out more here.
- My feature article, ‘How to spot a bad editor’, is accepted for publication by The Victorian Writer magazine.
- Through the Mentorship Program run by the Australasian Horror Writers Association, I am mentoring editor and emerging writer, Geneve Flynn, for a period of three months. In her latest blog post, Gen writes about the experience of being a mentee.
- Perfect Little Stitches and other stories, my dark fantasy and horror collection, is available now for pre-order, in both ebook and print format. The release date is September 1st.
- Anemone Enemy anthology, published by Oscillate Wildly Press, is released. It includes my flash fiction piece, ‘Cast down’.
- Desert Breeze Publishing has released the cover for my romance-suspense novella, ‘The Long Shot’.
- Be in the running to win a paperback copy of my crime-noir novellas, ‘Dark Waters’ & ‘Ronnie and Rita’. The Goodreads giveaway is open to entries from Australia, US, Canada, New Zealand, and UK. Entries close September 10th, 2017.
- The “Women in Horror Blog” publishes my mini-memoir on body horror.
April – June 2017
- The Australasian Horror Writers Association (AHWA) Flash Fiction & Short Story Competition was open to submissions until May 31, 2017. I’m honoured to be one of the judges. Results will be announced late June/early July. My fellow judges are the very talented writers Maree Kimberley and Glenn H. Mitchell.
Check out Maree: https://reekimberley.com/
And Glenn: http://www.glennhmitchell.com/
Be in the running to win a paperback copy of my monster-horror novel, ‘Devil Dragon’. The Goodreads giveaway is open to entries from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada and UK. Entries close July 30th 2017. https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/238440-devil-dragon
IFWG Publishing Australia has released the cover for my upcoming collection, ‘Perfect Little Stitches and other stories’, and it is beautiful! Many thanks to the talented Luke Spooner from Carrion House for his wonderful artwork: https://ifwgaustralia.com/2017/05/24/sneak-peek-cover-design-for-deborah-sheldons-perfect-little-stitches-and-other-stories/
- The Australasian Horror Writers Association has assembled a team of award-winning and award-nominated industry professionals in the fields of poetry, art, novel, short story and editing to help emerging writers better their craft through the 2017 AHWA Mentor Program. The program matches new writers with established writers for a short period of intense development. Over three months, Mentors work with selected writers offering one-on-one guidance and advice on developing that person’s writing, art, or editing style. This year the AHWA are also offering two Co-editor mentorships, one each for two volumes of Midnight Echo. This year’s mentors are Lee Murray, Alan Baxter, Kaaron Warren, Shane Jiraiya Cummings, Greg Chapman, Charles Lovecraft, and myself. The Mentor Program is only open to paid-up AHWA members. Cost for the program is $175 and via application. Applications open on Wednesday May 24 and close on Friday 16 June. Applicants can nominate a preferred mentor during this process. Successful applicants will be required to pay the full amount before beginning the program.Details about the program, including how to apply, can be found at the AHWA Website https://australianhorror.com/mentor-program/
Cover reveal for the horror anthology, ‘Anemone Enemy’, to be published by Oscillate Wildly Press later this year. It includes my flash fiction, ‘Cast down’:
- Deadman’s Tome, ‘March to the Grave’, includes my short story, ‘Across the white desert’ : https://www.amazon.com/Deadmans-March-Grave-Pete-Clark-ebook/dp/B07173CR3T/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1495495722&sr=1-1&keywords=Deadman%27s+Tome+March+to+the+Grave+%28Horrors+of+War%29
- My flash fiction piece, ‘Cast Down’, is accepted for publication in the anthology, ‘Anemone Enemy’, to be released by Oscillate Wildly Press later in 2017. https://www.oscillatewildlypress.com/single-post/2017/01/08/Open-Call-For-Submissions
- Pilot Press invited me to provide a snippet of writing advice for inclusion in their 2018 ‘Diary for Writers’: http://www.pilotpress.com.au/
- In October 2016, the Digital Fiction Publishing Corporation in Canada released the widely acclaimed ‘Killing It Softly’ anthology, a collection of horror fiction written exclusively by women. The sequel, ‘Killing It Softly 2’, is due for release in October this year. I’m thrilled to announce that I’ve just signed a contract to include my short story, ‘A Faithful Companion’, first published by Tincture Journal. More information is to come. In the meantime, please check out the original ‘Killing It Softly’ on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Softly-Digital-Fiction-Anthology-ebook/dp/B01LX96Q69
- My horror novel, ‘Devil Dragon’, is now available as an audio book, narrated by Gary Regal and published by Beacon Audiobooks, one of the largest independent audio book publishing companies in the United States: https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Dragon/dp/B06Y3K9VLQ/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=