October – November 2018
- My short story, “The Tea and Sugar Train”, is accepted for publication by Dimension6, the speculative fiction magazine by Coeur de Lion Publishing.
- My short story “Hair and Teeth”, first published in Aurealis #113, will be included in Year’s Best Hardcore Horror #4. The anthology is due for release mid-2019.
- Bernadette of the Spine Cracker horror blog interviews me about my latest release Contrition, my thoughts on writer’s block, and my time as a researcher and scriptwriter on the TV show Australia’s Most Wanted.
- Aurealis #115 includes a review of my bio-horror novella Thylacines.
- DeadCades: the Infernal Decimation is the third and final instalment in the Infernal Clock anthology series. It includes my story “Stagecoach from Castlemaine”, first published in my award-winning collection Perfect Little Stitches and Other Stories.
- My flash fiction piece, “Entombed”, is published in AntipodeanSF #243.
July – September 2018
- Sinister Reads interviews me about my latest release, the horror novel Contrition.
- My short story “For Weirdless Days and Weary Nights” is published in Breach magazine #8.
- The Horror Tree gives my horror novella Thylacines a five-star review.
- Breach Magazine interviews me about my writing, horror tropes, and indie publishing in Australia.
- In my Q&A with Writers Victoria, I discuss a range of topics including the inspiration behind my newest title (the noir-horror novel Contrition), and the different approaches I use for screenwriting and prose fiction.
- Two of my short stories, “Angel hair” and “Species endangered” (both included in my award-winning collection Perfect Little Stitches and Other Stories), make Ellen Datlow’s Honourable Mentions List 2017 for Best Horror of The Year volume 10.
- I will be a guest on the Deadman’s Tome Podcast on Friday September 7th at 9.30 pm (CST USA), which will be Saturday September 8th at 12.30 pm (EST Australia). We’ll be chatting about horror in general, my writing, and my latest release from IFWG Australia, the horror novel Contrition. (Plus, we get to play the drinking game “Have You Ever”, in which I must try my best to get Mr Deadman smashed.)
- Author Clare Rhoden interviews me about my latest release, the horror novel Contrition.
- My horror novel, Contrition, will be released on 3 September 2018 in Australia/UK and New Zealand, and for a short time my publisher IFWG Australia will make direct sales. North American release will occur in November. Until 10 September 2018, Australian, New Zealand, UK, Canadian and US readers can click on this link and buy a paperback for AU$32.95, including shipping.
- Pre-orders for Contrition are available now on Kindle.
- My short story “Stagecoach from Castlemaine”, first published in my award-winning collection Perfect Little Stitches and Other Stories, is included in the upcoming horror anthology DeadCades. One of the editors, Stephanie Ellis, interviews me about my story and its inspiration.
- My short story, “Hair and Teeth”, is published in Aurealis #113, with original artwork by Lynette Watters.
- My flash fiction piece, “Entombed”, will be published in the October issue of AntipodeanSF, a spec-fic magazine that’s been online since 1998.
- The Australasian Horror Writers Association invites applications from AHWA members for its 2018 Mentorship Program. THREE new mentorships are available with award-winning writers Alan Baxter, Kaaron Warren, and myself. We will work one-on-one with successful mentees to offer advice and guidance on a selected work. Run over a three-month period from August to December 2018, successful mentees will be entitled to 10–15 hours of mentoring, which includes reading time for the materials submitted. Applications close on 31 July 2018.
- On Saturday July 21st, I will be a guest speaker/tutor at the inaugural Fernglen Writers’ Retreat Weekend, organised by writer and editor Louise Zedda-Sampson.