The following are selected credits. If I listed all of my health and medical writing credits, we’d be here all day… See the ‘Bits and Pieces’ page under the heading ‘Writer-for-hire’ for examples of work for occasional clients.
BETTER HEALTH CHANNEL WEBSITE
From its inception in December 1998 until 2012, I was the head writer of the Better Health Channel, the premier health and medical website in Australia. It was run by the Victorian Department of Human Services until 2010, when the Victorian Department of Health took over and decided to take the website in a different direction.
I researched and wrote health, medical, wellbeing and lifestyle-related fact sheets. By 2012, there were about 1800 fact sheets online and I wrote most of them. About 300 or so medical associations approved and sponsored the content.
The Better Health Channel content team won the 2004 Department of Human Services Victoria ‘Valuing Achievement’ award.
Here is a link: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au
MI-TEC MEDICAL PUBLISHING
From 2004 to 2013, I wrote education materials that help patients make informed decisions about surgery. I’ve written for many associations including:
- Australian Dental Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Society of Anaesthetists
- Urological Society of Australasia
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Australian College of Emergency Medicine
- The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Vascular Surgery
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Australian Society of Otolaryngology
- The Obesity Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand
Here is a link: http://www.mitec.com.au
In 1997, I was script editor and writer of ‘SomaZone’, the adolescent health and wellbeing CD-ROM that inspired the website. My input also included collaboration on concept development, style, tone and hyperlink mapping. This interactive documentary was the Gold Medal winner for multimedia in the 1998 US International Film and Video Festival (also known as ‘The Chicago Awards’.)